Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I woke up this morning hoping to have a light breakfast since I'm meeting a Chinese friend for lunch today. That was an unrealistic thought to begin with, since most of my breakfasts have something to do with dough, and a lot of it. Past breakfasts have included:

A rice ball around fried dough and vegetables, soy milk on the side


Steamed dumplings filled with bead curd (the center is really sticky, and I actually prefer this kind to the next one)



Steamed buns with custard (it's slightly more appetizing than it looks)


and of course the infamous pizza I've begun to look forward to (which, contrary to what I originally thought, does not have any cheese on it). Scallions, onions, garlic, sesame seeds and other things I wouldn't be able to translate even if I asked.



But this morning I got a taste from home...
kind of.

I eat dinner with my host family every night, and when I run out of things to talk about, or simply can't express what I actually want to say, I resort to easy conversation: food. I'll ask them what they like to eat, the names of the dishes on the table (I don't think I'll ever remember any of them), and then tell them about American food and my favorite things to eat.

If you know me well enough, you know that my all time favorite food is peanut butter. Give me a jar, and half of it will be gone within the hour. So naturally, I've told my family. In the past, they responded with a couple of neat dinner dishes

This was some kind of potato-cabbage dish (maybe?) with a spicy peanut sauce


And last night we had
I don't know what any of this is...but with peanuts!


This morning however, I sat down and was really excited because my host most was cutting up some bread and showed me her jar of peanut butter. SCORE.

And then she slapped a fried egg on the bread and gave me a
peanut butter and egg sandwich. That was new one for me...

I was intrigued and ate it without time to snap a picture...but I think you can imagine what it looked like.

By the way, bread here is super super super super fluffy. I'm talking wonder bread inflated 10x. So this protein-overload sandwich was huge.


Bad Translation of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment